On September 17, 2020, the ACLU Foundation of San Diego & Imperial Counties (ACLUF-SDIC) will present our fourteenth annual Celebrate the Constitution! program. Over the past 13 years, we have partnered with host teachers and volunteer speakers to educate more than 125,000 local middle and high school students about their civil rights and freedoms.
It’s a wonderfully popular program, the hallmark of which is interacting with students in their classrooms. The COVID-19 crisis has prompted us to reimagine the program in a way that will allow us to connect with more youth than ever before.
This year, Celebrate the Constitution! will be an entirely digital program. Rather than visiting classrooms this year on Constitution Day, September 17, we will release video shorts about the Constitution and Bill of Rights. The online format will allow us to safely engage with students and to offer meaningful digital content that can be accessed by youth across the nation all year long!
We look forward to Celebrating the Constitution with you!
- Recommended 2019 Constitution Day Presentation Outline (updated 9/9/19)
- Constitution Day Powerpoint (updated 9/10/19)
- This recommended PowerPoint provides a special focus on the constitutional protections guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, the post-Civil War amendments, and modern-day court cases, national and local, of particular interest to young people. (Version with speaker’s talking points here).
- Student Study Guide (updated 9/9/19)
- Constitution Day Trivia Quiz: Icebreaker (updated 9/10/18)
- Constitution Day Trivia Answer Sheet: Icebreaker (updated 9/10/18)
- Constitution Day Trivia Quiz: Knowledge Check (updated 9/10/18)
- Constitution Day Trivia Answer Sheet: Knowledge Check (updated 9/10/18)
CONSTITUTION DAY BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Kids & the Law (Cal State Bar publication)
When You Turn 18: A Survival Guide for Teenagers (Calif State Bar publication)
Content Standards - middle school
Content Standards - high school