You have rights—don't give them away!
The American Civil Liberties Union works every day—in the courts, legislatures, and in the streets—to preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to everyone in this country. The U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the California Constitution spell out our hopes for the kind of society that we want to be, and protect our rights, including:
- Right to equal protection, that is, the right to be treated equally, regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, or sexual orientation.
- Right to due process, that is, the right to be treated fairly by the government whenever the loss of liberty (being arrested, detained, or questioned) or property (being searched) is at stake.
- Right to privacy, that is, the right to be free from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private business.
- Right to free speech, association, and assembly, that is, the right to speak your mind, to meet up with whomever you choose, and to call on your government officials, publicly if you like, to make changes if you have any concerns.
Below are our most requested Know Your Rights materials.
What to Do If You're Stopped by the Police/Law Enforcement
- What to Do If You're Stopped by the Police - a short listing to keep in your wallet
- What to Do If You're Stopped by the Police - a more detailed brochure
- Your Rights if caught in a law enforcement trolley sweep
- Your Rights if caught in a curfew sweep in San Diego
- Your Rights When Encountering the Border Patrol: English & Spanish
- Know Your Rights in the 100 Mile Zone
- Your Rights if you believe you are a victim of police brutality
- Your Right to Film the Police (ACLU's free Mobile Justice App)
- Fourth Amendment Rights For Nonprofits
AB 60 Driver's License Rights
- Know Your Rights - California's AB 60 Driver's Licenses
- Applying for a California Driver's License Under AB 60
- LGBT Rights - a short listing to keep in your wallet
- LGBTQ Student Rights at School - small booklet
- LGBTQ Student Rights - a more detailed flyer
- Conoce sus derechos - los estudiantes LGBTQ
- Transgender Rights when using restrooms
Your First Amendment-Protected Rights
- Your Right to Protest
- An Activist's Guide to Free Speech, Protests, and Demonstrations
- Your Right to Film the Police
Your Rights as a Student
- Visit our webpage, My School My Rights, to learn more about your rights as students
Your Voting Rights
- Visit our webpage for all your voting rights resources
- Vote plan checklist
- Visit our Voting Rights page on ACLU National's website.
Guide to Direct Services in San Diego County
- Guide to Direct and Emergency Services in San Diego County